1. Who is on my Care Team?
- Radiation Oncologist – Dr Travis Thompson, he will oversee your Radiation Treatment and your Cancer Care.
- Radiation Treatment Therapist – our therapists will administer your daily treatment under the Doctors supervision.
- Radiation Oncology Nurse – our Nurse will work with the Care Team to attend to your needs while undergoing treatment
- Patient Care Coordinator – will coordinate your appointments with all Doctors, labs and imaging.
- Radiation Oncology Physicists – our Physicists are responsible for developing and directing quality control programs for equipment and procedures for your radiation treatment
- Dosimetrists – helps to design your treatment plan and performs calculations for the accurate delivery of the prescribed dose.
- Dr Thompson will work closely with all Doctors involved in your care, which can include: surgical oncologists, medical oncologists, pulmonologist, urologist and primary care doctor as part of the multi-disciplinary cancer team.
2. Who will coordinate my care?
When you first come to our center, we want you to feel as though you are being taken care of by family. We understand this is a difficult time for you and your loved ones, and we are here to provide you with as much help as possible through your journey.
Physicist/Dosimetrist: Dr. Thompson works closely with a board-certified dosimetrist and physicist to design a radiation treatment plan that will best treat your type of cancer while sparing the surrounding healthy tissues. Our physicist is certified by AAPM (American Associates of Physicists in Medicine).
Radiation Oncology Nurse: Coupling many years of health care experience with compassionate care, our radiation oncology nurse will be available to assist you at anytime during your treatment here at our center.
Radiation Therapist: After the radiation plan has been completed by Dr. Thompson and the physicist, the therapists will then implement the plan by positioning your body and adjusting the linear accelerator to the exact specifications developed by the specialized team. Our American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) certified therapists will constantly monitor you during your treatment session.
Scheduler: Your personal scheduler will set up your appointments for radiation treatments, which are usually set for Monday through Friday for up to several consecutive weeks. For your convenience, your appointments are typically set for the same time each day.
Financial Counselor: Your insurance plan and benefits will be fully explained by our financial counselor who can also help you link with available funding sources such as Medicaid and Medicare. For patients with financial difficulty, we will help you determine whether you are eligible for charity care or financial assistance and even help with transportation issues.